Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Melted Chocolate Drizzle

Okay, I had a slight disaster with this cake. But then I was using my brand new bundt pan for the first time, so it's pardonable I guess. Everybody has had bundt issues, I'm sure. Even if you don't own up you must have had been totally bummed when you first used your bundt pan (unless of course you memorised all articles on Google regarding how to unmould a cake from the bundt). Well, I didn't and the recipe proportions I was somewhat following said that you need to give the cake 10 minutes to cool before you take it out. 10 minutes, really? Which cake gets cooled in 10 minutes, tell me? But obviously, this logic did not strike me then, and as the arms of the clock progressively moved from midnight to early morning I was desperate to get done with the cake, take it out of the bundt, click a few photographs and hit the bed. So yeah, logic and all went out of the window.
What happened basically is when I tried to unmould my cake, a part of it refused to come out. The more I tried the more shapeless it was becoming. So finally I settled with 3/4 of the cake out of the pan and dug the remaining from the pan itself. Finding little joys of life from the worst of catastrophes is my motto. :P
What was worse is that the cake was meant to be a birthday cake for my Mama (maternal uncle) and of course it did not suit my dignity to give him a 3/4th cake. But by then I had run out of eggs and had virtually no energy to make another cake from scratch. So out came the knife and the cake was neatly shaped into a horse shoe. Some melted chocolate drizzled all over it and you had no way of knowing that the cake was so ugly at birth! Little improvisations go a long way. I ended up giving that cake to my Mama. What the cake lacks in terms of looks it surely makes up for in taste, and from what I tasted while scraping the crumbs off the bundt I would definitely go back to making another of it very soon, but first I need to master these bundt tricks!
Recipe slightly adapted from My Recipes
Serves: 12-14

Ingredients:

Flour: 2 3/4 cups
Baking powder: 2 teaspoon
Salt: 1 teaspoon
Butter, softened: 3/4 cup
Olive oil: 1/2 cup
Dark brown sugar: 1 cup
Granulated sugar: 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract: 1 tablespoon
Eggs: 4
Buttermilk: 1 cup  (if you don't have buttermilk, just squeeze the juice of 1 lime into 100 ml milk and allow it to rest for 3-4 minutes)
Chocolate chips: 3/4 cup
Dark chocolate, chopped: 250 gm

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Greased and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan thoroughly.

2. Sift and whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.

3. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla at medium speed with a hand blender for 3 to 5 minutes or until fluffy.

4. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended.
5. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bowl as needed.

6. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon batter into the prepared pan.

7. Bake at 350° for 50 to 55 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack at least 30-40 minutes before you try and remove it. Follow the bundt tricks before removing.

8. As the cake gets cooled, melt the chocolate on a double boiler stirring occasionally and once unmoulded, drizzle it all over the cake.

A dessert a week challenge: Week 22

Comments

Popular Posts