Pabrai's Fresh and Naturelle: In Search of Great Ice Cream

Rocky and Mayur have ventured out to explore food from all parts of India and curate videos on Askme.com. I'm contributing my part by relishing my favourite ice creams at Pabrai's Fresh and Naturelle Ice Cream and sharing my views with you all! You can also upload your video review on AskMe  and stand a chance to meet Rocky and Mayur.
In my not-so-recent trip to Australia if there was one food item I had with abandon and almost everyday, it was ice cream (or any kind of frozen dessert). The perplexing variety of flavours starting from a multitude of chocolate-based ones to different types of berries and fruits enthralled me to bits. After I returned (and by then Summer had set in quite comfortably), my longing for a good cup of ice cream began to peak with every passing day. The local brands that we have in Calcutta fell flat in face of the tantalising offering of say Ben n Jerry's or Movenpick. It was then that on my way to office one fine day I ran into this gem of an ice cream parlour.
Now Pabrai's fresh and naturelle ice cream was not new to me. I have raved over their Nolen Gur flavour (which I used to get in tubs from Spencers) for over two years now. But this was the first time I spotted an exclusive outlet. My heart skipped a beat, because I knew that if my quest for brilliant ice cream had to end somewhere it would be this place.
In the last three months that Pabrai's has opened up in Sarat Bose Road, I've frequented the place many a time. With the flavour spread they have on offer, it does indeed become difficult to choose one. For long I have stuck to my favourites Nolen Gur and South Indian Filter Coffee but of late I've veered to more offbeat flavours.
The Nolen Gurer ice cream, to me, is the best it can ever get. Initially I was a bit skeptic about having it in Summer (nolen gur is not in season then) but my doubts were soon put to rest. Drizzled with some jhola gur (liquid jaggery), this ice cream is nothing short of divine. The nolen gurer shondesh-like particles give it a unique and interesting texture. The South Indian Filter Coffee flavour is yet another big hit with me. It has that quintessential taste and aroma of filter coffee, only in frozen form. And that, let me tell you, is quite a bomb. Also available in a sugar free version, you don't even have to think twice if you're a diabetic but still want to relish this scoop of heaven. How good is that?
The last time I was there, I chose to gorge on two hitherto untried flavours, while my mother stuck to her old favourite of nolen gur. My first cup was a Mascarpone Cheese and Candied Fruits ice cream. Their menu labelled it as an exotic flavour and it lived up to its reputation. Creamy, soft with that welcome crunch from candied fruits, I was halfway through this cup before I realised I had to take a picture!
I followed it up with Chocolate Hazelnut that was subtly insisted upon by my mother. Always an avid lover of Nutella, what impressed me about this flavour was that it was not just a mere variant of the chocolate hazelnut spread. The chocolate was luscious and the hazelnut bites provided an added kick. I also have my eyes firmly set on the Caramel Crunch and Tender Coconut which I'm going to pounce on during my next visit.
Pabrai's also has two other outlets at Sector 5 and Mani Square Mall, apart from the one at Spencers, South City Mall. What's even better is that they have tubs for almost all the flavours so if you live close by to any of these aforesaid places, I'd advise you to pick up a tub on your way back from work and share it with your family for dinner. I do that on so many occasions because guess what? They are open till midnight!
If you like what you see here, don't forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the "Like" button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. :)






Comments

Popular Posts