Spinach and Herbs Frittata
If Jekubaba showed me where to eat out in Kolkata, his jamai (son-in-law) Antar da showed me the same for Delhi. By now we were fast forwarded by a decade and the food scene in India had changed drastically. And the good thing with Antar da is that he not just exposed me to multifarious cuisines in the most brilliant restaurants, but also showed how making them at home is an equally viable option.
Inspired by that and a Nigel Slater recipe I saw the day before, I set out to make a frittata. An egg-laden breakfast is always the healthiest way to start your day and what better if you have a whole lot of spinach and herbs to add to it! You can use absolutely any topping for these frittatas. I had a good mind to throw in some bacon, but they needed to be thawed and I was super hungry. Add mushrooms and corns if you don't take meat or even some dry fruits and nuts to give the soft eggs some crunch. Whatever you do, this is one dish that will never fail you. NEVER.
Spinach: 2-3 cups
Basil leaves, chopped: 2 tbsp
Fresh parsley, chopped: 2 tbsp
Fresh mint, chopped: 1 tbsp
Fresh coriander, chopped: 2 tbsp
Dill: 1 tsp (I used dried)
Rosemary: 1 tsp (I used dried)
Onion, sliced: 1 medium
Butter: 1 + 1 tsp
Olive Oil: 1 + 1 tsp
Cheddar cheese, cubed: 3 tbsp (You can use any cheese of your choice)
Roasted garlic flakes: 1 tsp
Salt, to taste (I used garlic salt)
Pepper powder: 3/4 tsp
1. In a non-stick pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and butter each. Add the spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes till they soften and become wilted. Set aside.
2. In a big bowl, whisk the eggs and season well with salt and pepper. Add the fresh and dried herbs and onions. Add the softened spinach to the eggs and mix well.
3. Heat the remaining butter and oil in the same pan. When it starts to sizzle add the eggs. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes and then add the cheddar cheese. Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
4. In the meanwhile preheat the oven to 170 degree C.
5. Now transfer the frittata into an ovenproof dish (it should have taken shape by now) and bake for 13-15 minutes.
6. Serve hot with bread.
If you like what you see here, don't forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the "Like" button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. :)