Thai Tomato Rice with Peas and Corn

I've told you all about my obsession with tomato soup and anything Thai in this post. So you already know how my Thai Tomato Soup came into being. Now, I am quite the eccentric cook who likes to whip things up in large batches so that they can be enjoyed for a prolonged period of time. Rarely do I tire of good food. So, yeah.
Not surprisingly, I cooked my Thai Tomato Soup in gallons. The quantity was so overwhelming that even after having it for lunch, dinner AND lunch the following day, I had this much left. Yes, THIS much. I couldn't possibly have any more soup. I'm not in the habit of healthy eating, so anything remotely nutritious doesn't suit my regular diet. :P So the soup had to now play cameo in something else...something with more carbs, and yes, rice is the best man for the job!
Now all of you who prepare your lunchbox meals for work or your kids' schools know how humongously difficult a task it is. Especially in such weather conditions. The idea of turning on the gas, chopping veggies or slicing meat and then standing for a decent stretch of time stirring the content in your non-stick pan as you feel the little beads of sweat trickling down your forehead is an absolute nightmare! So of late I've been making my dinner in a manner that involves throwing things together, rather than "cooking" things. If you know what I mean.
Now this throwing together game becomes a lot easier if you have leftover rice around. So with my leftover brown rice and Thai Tomato Soup, this is what I decided to make. I used veggies true, but only those that did not need chopping. You can add anything to it, really, provided you are willing to undergo that arduous task. Not me. This dish has short cut written all over it. Comfort food, soul food, cheat's food, almost risotto-ish...but what's most important is it's amazing food!
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

Brown rice: 2 cups (white rice will also do)
Thai Tomato Soup: 1 cup (get recipe here)
Peas: 1/2 cup
Sweet corn kernels: 1/2 cup
Coconut milk: 1/2 cup
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to season

Method:

1. In a non-stick pan, heat the Thai Tomato Soup and allow that to bubble for 2-3 minutes.

2. Now add the peas and corn and stir for another couple of minutes till the sauce is thick and a rich red colour.

3. Add the rice, mix well, stir in the coconut milk, adjust salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 2 more minutes.

4. Serve hot or add to your lunchbox menu. Easy peasy!

Comments

Popular Posts