Eggless Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze
Flour: 300 gm
Caster sugar: 250 gm
Cocoa powder: 5 tbsp (I used Dutch processed)
Sea salt: 3/4 tsp
Baking powder: 2 tsp
Baking soda: 1/2 tsp
Olive/Vegetable oil: 100 ml
Water: 130 ml
Vanilla bean extract or vanilla essence: 2 tsp
Vinegar: 2 tsp
Heavy cream: 200 ml (I used reduced fat cream because heavy cream was not available)
Butter: 40 gm
Sugar: 100 gm
Vanilla bean extract: 1 tsp
Sea salt: 1/2 tsp
1. Take a large bowl in which sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda together.
2. In a mixer, add oil, vanilla bean paste, vinegar and water. Pulse a couple of times till well combined.
3. Now gently fold in the oil-water mixture into the dry mixture, one-third at a time. Make sure that there are no lumps. The batter should be thick-ish.
4. Heat oven to 180 degree C and grease a bundt pan. Be careful and leave out no space while greasing, otherwise your cake might get stuck while unmoulding.
5. Pour batter into the bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until a tester comes clean.
6. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven soak a kitchen towel in hot water and wrap the bundt pan with the steaming hot towel. Let it rest on the wire rack for 20-25 minutes. The steam would ensure that the cake comes out of the pan smoothly.
7. After the cake has cooled, unwrap the towel and invert the pan on a plate. Tap from the top and sides until the cake comes out.
Salted Caramel Frosting:
1. While the cake is cooling make your salted caramel: In a small pan over medium high heat, add the sugar and swirl the pan so that the sugar spreads all over the base. Let it change colour to amber, which takes roughly 2 minutes. Now very carefully add the cream and stir as you do that. There'll be a lot of splutter at this stage, so be cautious. Now add the butter, stir everything and bring the sauce to a boil. Remove from heat and add the vanilla paste and salt stir to dissolve them.
2. Frost cake as soon as possible, otherwise the caramel will become thick and won't run down the sides of your bundt cake.
PS: You can also make this cake in a normal round or square cake tin. in that case reduce the baking time to 30-35 minutes.
If you like what you see here, don't forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the "Like" button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. :)