Malaysian Mango Chicken
Boneless chicken, cut into strips or bite-sized pieces: 500 gm
Olive oil: 2.5 tbsp
Garlic cloves: 4-5
Onion, diced: 1
Green bell pepper, cut into strips: 1 medium
Yellow bell pepper, cut into strips: 1 medium
Mango, peeled and cut into strips: 1.5 big
Red chillies, chopped finely: 4
Spring onions, chopped finely: 5-6 tbsp
Tomato ketchup: 3 tbsp
Red chilli sauce: 2 tbsp (I used 1 tbsp more to finish off my jar)
Hoisin sauce: 2 tbsp (the recipe called for oyster sauce, I didn't have it)
Worcestershire sauce: 1 tbsp
Honey: 1 tbsp
Rice wine vinegar: 1 tbsp
Salt, to taste
Sugar: 1 tsp
Sugar: 1 tsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
Cornflour: 1 tsp
Garlic, minced: 1 tsp
1. Marinade the chicken with the ingredients listed under marination and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. I kept it overnight.
2. In a bowl mix together tomato ketchup, red chilli sauce, hoisin sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Honey, vinegar and a little bit of salt. Check seasoning and set aside.
3. In a non stick pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and add the onions. Stir for 2-3 minutes until the onions have wilted a bit. Now add the garlic and bell peppers and half of the chopped red chillies. Fry on medium high heat for 8-10 minutes till everything is caramelised and slightly charred. You can add a 1 tsp of sugar in between the frying process. Set aside.
4. In the same pan, heat up the remaining oil and add the marinated chicken. Stir fry on high heat for 5 minutes, add the mango strips, stir well and then cover and cook for another 7-8 minutes to let the mangoes release their juices.
5. Now remove the cover, add the sauce mixture and mix stir well, stirring continuously on high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add the caramelised onion-bell pepper that you had set aside. Mix well. Check for seasoning and add salt/sugar if required. You can also add some mango chunks at this stage so as to help them retain shape. Cook on high heat for another 5 minutes. Add 4 tbsp of the green onions in between and turn off the heat once the chicken is cooked.
6. Garnish with remaining green onions and chopped red chillies and serve as a starter or with steamed rice.