Apple Pie Milkshake

I have a thing for apple juice. I've never really understood the reason why. Apples are by far not my favourite fruit, but right from childhood I've had this insane attraction for the crystal clear amber coloured beverage that apples would yield. I remember long back when I was in Class III I had gone for a casual trip to Benaras with my parents. This was the day we were coming back. We had stopped by at a restaurant for Chicken Tandoori (and this was a day and age when tandooris were not rampant in every nook and corner) and closer to the railway station at a vendor's outlet that served apple juice. After my first glass of apple juice (and I'm a pathetically slow drinker. I finish one cup of tea/coffee in 2 days!), I wanted more. But given the time I had already taken in devouring the first one we hardly had any time left. We were running late and our train (it probably originated at Allahabad) would reach the station any minute. My pleas fell on deaf ears and very soon I found myself being dragged away by my dad's firm grip. We managed to reach the station on time only to be intimated that the train was 3 hours late. Oh , what a fit I threw. "Please take me back to the shop so I can have another glass of apple juice," I blabbered away like a transistor gone wrong. Probably my dad melted and wanted to take me back but my Mum did not give in to the plan. Or it might have been the other way round. I don't quite remember who was the kinder soul. The moral of the story is I didn't get the chance to go back to that shop and I deeply regret the missed opportunity till date.
At home the other day I wanted to make myself a glass of apple-based drink. Now the thin silky apple juice is something that obviously wasn't possible for me to create at home so I settled for this Apple Pie Milkshake. I first made an apple pie filling, cooled it and then blended it to glory with milk, ice cream and ice cubes. I'd have used yoghurt if I didn't have ice cream to thicken the texture a bit. So if you're watching your weight you can skip the ice cream and substitute it with yoghurt.
Serves: 2
Ingredients:

Apples, peeled, cored and chopped roughly: 2
Chilled Milk: 1 cup
Vanilla Ice Cream: 2 scoops + 2 to top the shakes
Cinnamon powder: 1/2 tsp + for garnish
Nutmeg, freshly grated: a fat pinch
Apple juice/Appy Fizz: 2 tbsp
Raisins: 8-10
Vanilla bean paste: 1 tsp
Ice cubes: 5-6

Method:

1. In a non-stick pan, add the apple juice and the chopped apple. Saute for 2-3 minutes till they are soft and mushy. Add the cinnamon and grate the nutmeg. Saute for another minute and let the spices blend into the apple mixture. Add a little more juice if you wish. Turn off heat and set aside to cool.

2. Once the apple mixture is cooled, in a blender add that, the chilled milk, 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, vanilla bean paste, raisins and the ice cubes. Blend away to glory till thick and smooth.

3. Pour into glasses, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and sprinkle some cinnamon. Drink immediately of freeze for a couple of hours and enjoy your Apple Pie Frozen Milkshake. :)
Summertime Love: Day 8
If you like what you see here, don't forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the "Like" button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. :)

Comments

Popular Posts