Cheddar Cheese Straws
Cheddar cheese, shredded: 150 gm
Butter, at room temperature: 40 gm
Flour: 110 gm
Sea salt: 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
Red chilli flakes: 3/4 tsp
Milk/Cream: 1 tbsp
1. In a mixer blend the shredded cheese, butter, flour, salt, pepper powder and red chilli flakes till the mixture looks like rubble. Add the milk/cream and blend some more till it takes the shape of a dough.
2. Cut a baking parchment of the size of you baking tray. Dust it with flour and place the dough ball on it. Knead it till there remains no crack and the dough ball is smooth.
3. Now roll out the dough in the shape of a rectangle fairly thin but not so much that it can tear.
4. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into thin strips carefully adjusting some space with the knife between the strips. Place the baking sheet with the dough strips on your baking tray.
5. Preheat oven to 180 degree C and bake for 15 minutes until the straws are slightly puffy. Now whack up the temperature to 200 degree C and bake for another 5-7 minutes till they straws are crispy and golden brown.
6. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes before pouncing on them. Trust me, those 10 minutes are going to be the longest 10 minutes of your life!
If you like what you see here, don't forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the "Like" button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. :)