Moist Orange Cake with Orange Caramel drizzle
Caster Sugar: 300 gm
Flour: 125 gm
Butter: 150 gm
Orange, both zest and juice: 2
Orange crush/Marmalade: 3-4 tbsp
Vanilla essence: 1 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder: 1 1/2 tsp
Water: 2 tbsp
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. Line a round springform tin with baking parchment and oil/butter the sides.
2. Beat the 2 eggs in a hand mixer for around 4-5 minutes till light and fluffy but not stiff. Add 200 grams of sugar and butter (you can substitute half the butter with olive/vegetable oil) and continue blending for another 2 minutes.
3. Now add the zest of 1 orange (you can use more if you want it to be more textured), juice of the same orange, orange crush/marmalade, vanilla essence and blend until smooth and without any lumps.
4. Now sift the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl and gradually fold it into the liquid mixture.
5. Pour the batter in the tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the skewer comes clean. Once done, wait for the cake to cool on the rack and then take it out.
6. For the icing, heat the remaining sugar, water and the juice of 1 orange gradually. Let it boil for 4-5 minutes. You may eliminate the water completely or use less juice depending on the kind of tang you want. Don't stir while the caramel is bubbling.
7. Once the caramel is sticky, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool completely.
8. When both the cake and the caramel have reached room temperature, drizzle the caramel lightly over the cake in a criss-cross manner and sprinkle some orange zest on it. Avoid the zest if you think the cake is already too bitter for you.
9. Cut it into generous pieces, sit back with a book and a cup of coffee and enjoy!