Strawberry Pistachio Cake
If all these strawberries are not enough for you, hop on to Manjari's blog For the Love of Food where she has whipped up a mindblowingly boozy strawberry jam. And not just that, she has also made some Napolitain biscuits to go with it. Yes, from scratch. Very Christmassy, I say. :)
Sips and Spoonfuls
Flour: 200 gm
Pistachio meal (ground pistachios): 50 gm
Baking powder: 1.5 tsp
Baking soda: 0.5 tsp
Salt: a pinch
Butter, at room temperature: 100 gm
Sugar: 175 gm
Amaretto: 2 tsp (you can also use vanilla or any pista essence)
Milk: 4 tbsp(or as required)
Strawberries, hulled and chopped into quarters: 12-14
1. In a big bowl, sift flour, baking powder and soda and salt. Set aside.
2. With an electric or a hand-held mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add amaretto and blitz. Transfer the mixture to another big bowl.
3. Now fold in the flour gradually, alternating with the milk till well combined. Stir in the pistachio meal.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade and grease a round cake pan with butter on the sides and line the base by a parchment paper.
5. Put batter into cake pan and plant the strawberries on top of the batter, pressing them slightly into it. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20-30 minutes before unmoulding.
6. Serve cold or at room temperature with an elegant cup of English Breakfast Tea.
Kickstarting Christmas: Day 4