Palak Corn Paneer
It's a humble spinach dish that you can make with almost any vegetables lying around, or better still chicken or meat! Corn and paneer are probably matches made in heaven with spinach, individually . I decided to combine the three to make one wholesome dish that is healthy, delicious and oozes comfort.
Veg Recipes of India
Spinach leaves: 750 gm
Green chillies: 2
Paneer, cut into cubes: 250 gm
Sweet Corn kernels: 1.5 cups (boil if fresh, thaw if frozen)
Cumin seeds: 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Kashmiri red chili powder: 1 tsp
Asafoetida/heeng: 2 pinches
Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
Cream: 3-4 tbsp
Olive Oil/Ghee/Butter: 1 tbsp + 2 tsp ghee
Salt, to taste
Sugar: 2 tsp
For masala paste:
Onion, roughly chopped: 2
Ginger paste: 2 tsp
Garlic paste: 3 tsp
Green chilies: 2-3
Cashewnuts, soaked in water: 1/2 cup.
1. In a small blender, pulse all the ingredients for the masala paste. Add a little water if you require, I did not need any. Set aside.
2. Wash the spinach thoroughly with lukewarm water. In a large pan, add water and a little bit of salt and bring to boil. Add the spinach and blanching till soft. Immediately strain it and transfer to ice cold water and let it rest for 2 minutes. Make a puree of the spinach and green chillies. Set aside.
3. In a deep-bottomed pan, heat oil/ghee/butter. Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter for 30 odd seconds or till aromatic and golden brown. Now add the masala paste and a tsp of sugar and keep stirring for the next 5-6 minutes.
4. With a little water, add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida and 1/2 tsp garam masala powder. Keep stirring the masala till it loses its raw smell and releases oil, say another 2-3 minutes
5. Now add the spinach puree along with some salt, bring to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer covered for 2 minutes.
6. Add the corn and paneer and some water if required, mix well and continue to simmer covered for another 5 minutes.
7. Add the cream, mix well and cook for another minute.
8. Now sprinkle 2 tsp ghee and the remaining garam masala, give a final stir and take off the heat.
9. Serve hot with rotis/pulao/naan.
If you like what you see here, don't forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the "Like" button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. :)