Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie (Eggless)

It was my friend and the amazing food blogger (of Not a Curry) Dhrubaa's birthday last week and she wanted me to make a sweet treat to guest post for her blog. Not that she is into sweets by any means. She'd much rather prefer a grilled salmon with asparagus! But you know the thing with birthdays, right? Unless there's a sugar overload, you hardly feel you've turned a year older.
Now my Eat Like a Bong series last month had effectively ensured that all sugary stuff that I made in the last few days were essentially Indian. The Kesar Pista Badaam Kulfi too was a quintessentially Diwali affair. I was itching to make something with chocolate all this while. And giving the chocolate company was the bottle of kahlua (a coffee and rum liqueur) that my sister and brother-in-law got from San Francisco a few months back.

But it seems I've become the Queen of split chocolate. After my melting chocolate fiascoes in the past (read about what I ended up making with them here and here) this time too my chocolate on the double boiler turned fudgy. I really don't know what has been happening but I guess some kind of moisture, maybe a droplet of water is finding its way into my boiler. Anyway, my first round of chocolate was absolutely unsuitable for any kind of chocolate cream, so I settled for truffles with them. I melted a new batch of chocolates, whipped up the cream to a smooth, luscious glory, flavoured it generously with kahlua and the elements for my filling were ready. I decided to quickly make a crust. I didn't have 250 gm of the same kind of biscuits so I used an assortment of digestives and oreos. And no sooner than I realised, my Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie came together. I distributed a chunk of it among relatives and friends but the only gripe that lingered in my mind was that she for whom this pie was made couldn't taste it.
Serves: 10-12

Ingredients:

For crust:

Oreos/ Digestive biscuits: 250 gm
Butter, at room temperature: 60 gm
Cocoa powder: 2 tsp
Caster sugar: 2 tbsp

Filling:

Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped: 500 gm + for garnish
Heavy cream: 400 ml
Kahlua: 1/4 cup
Caster sugar: 3-4 tbsp

To read the remaining recipe, click here.
If you like what you see here, don't forget to hop on to my Facebook page and click the "Like" button. All Guilt Free posts will reach you in your newsfeed. :)

Comments

Popular Posts