Walnut Rum n Raisin Cake


I'm back from a vacation. And you know how things get tough during such times. Things like cooking, writing...and most importantly, joining work! I haven't cooked anything in the last 10 days, and as a result my blog is suffering in silence. :(

So I thought of sharing with you the recipe of the Walnut Rum n Raisin Cake that I made for munching in the train. I made this more than a week back and I feel too lazy to even try and recollect the recipe.
Since I don't feel like writing today, let me keep this short and trite. I am in two minds whether to make a photo essay of my trip to Sikkim or take some time and write a travelogue of the same in a few days. I guess I'll stick to the latter, or at least try to. If no travelogue comes out in the next fortnight, you'll just get pictures, okay?
On to the cake now.
Serves: 8-10

Ingredients:

Flour: 200 gm
Eggs: 2
Butter, in room temperature: 100 gm
Olive/ Vegetable oil: 50 ml
Caster Sugar: 175 gm
Milk: 3-4 tbsp
Baking powder: 2 tsp
Dark Rum: 1/2 cup
Raisins: 1/2 cup
Walnuts, chopped: 1/2 cup

Method:

1. In a bowl, soak the raisins in the rum and keep for half an hour.

2. In another bowl, sift flour and 2 tsp baking powder and set aside.

3. Cream butter and sugar using a hand blender. Add oil and egg and continue mixing till smooth.

4. Put away the blender and add flour gradually folding it into the batter until just combined. Add the milk to loosed the consistency. It shouldn't be too tight and thick.

5. Now add the rum-soaked raisins along with the leftover rum and walnuts and give it a final stir.

6. Preheat oven to 180º Celsius and line a round cake tin with baking parchment. Butter the base and sides thoroughly.

7. Pour the batter inside the pan and bake for 30 minutes till a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to rest on wire rack for 10-15 minutes before unmoulding it.

8. Cut into triangles or squares and pack for your picnic or train journey.

A dessert a week challenge: Week 21

Comments

Popular Posts